Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Illnois Governor Arrested for Trying to Sell Obama's Senate Seat

Yesterday morning the Feds arrested Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich on federal corruption charges. Blagojevich (a Democrat) was trying to sell the Senate seat vacated by President-elect Obama. The guy is obviously an idiot as he was already the obvious target of a three-year federal grand jury investigation into trading state jobs and contracts for campaign contributions. 

U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said, "The conduct would make Lincoln roll over in his grave." He also noted that investigators found nothing to suggest any wrongdoing by President-elect Obama.

One of the juicy quotes from the wiretap evidence:

Blagojevich, referring to Obama's empty Senate seat and his ability to appoint someone to fill it: "I've got this thing and it's fucking golden, and, uh, uh, I'm just not giving it up for fuckin' nothing. I'm not gonna do it. And, and I can always use it. I can parachute me there." 

Funny enough, he said this on Monday (the day before he was arrested): I should say if anybody wants to tape my conversations, go right ahead, feel free to do it,” he said, though he added that those who carried out such recordings sneakily, “I would remind them that it kind of smells like Nixon and Watergate.”

By the way, for some funny irony related to this story, check out this announcement at Illinois.gov. Quote: "CHICAGO - First Lady Patricia Blagojevich today announced December's selection for her Children's Reading Club - How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss." 

You can’t make this stuff up.