Sunday, November 9, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to my first blog! I have everything to learn about blogging, but the best way to learn is by doing. As the title implies, this blog will focus on mainly on politics and their impact on our lives. Although I’m by no means an expert on the subject, I hope that this can become a creative outlet and a forum for discussion. I'm a "science guy" so I’ll occasionally try to pique your interest with posts on important scientific discoveries and new technologies. I think science education is important, especially when you consider that, according to polls, Americans are as likely to believe in UFOs as in evolution, and one-fifth of Americans believe that the sun orbits the Earth (yikes!). When we look at looming challenges like climate change, disease, and diminishing natural resources, as well as opportunities on the horizon such as stem cells, genomic sequencing, and personalized medicine, it’s clear that dealing thoughtfully with these issues will require a knowledge of both science and politics. I hope we can learn from each other.