Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Don't Cry For Mark, Argentina


Just as I was writing the post below about the moral bankrupcy of the GOP, Gov. Mark Sanford of South Carolina, after disappearing for the last 5 days, held a press conference to admit that he's been cheating on his wife with a woman from Argentina. Mystery solved! "I spent the past five days of my life crying in Argentina," he said, "so I could come back and cry here." Yes, he used crying and Argentina in the same sentence. You really can't make this stuff up.



UPDATE: Here is the video from the press conference:


I know, I know. The Democrats have had had their share of uh..slip-ups (Bill Clinton, Jim McGreevey, and Eliot Spitzer come to mind). There is a difference, though. Andy Ostroy at Huffington Post explains:

Democrats don't sanctimoniously lecture everyone else from the bully pulpit about ethics. About what's moral. About what constitutes "acceptable" family values. About how to live your life. About right and wrong. Good vs. evil. That's what Republicans do. It's conservatives who want to tell us all how to live, who to marry, who to sleep with, what to do with our bodies, when to let a sick loved one die. But time and time again, they are proven to be living a lie. Creating a double-standard. They're all about "Do as I say, not as I do". They often live in the biggest glass house, yet throw the largest stones. So when they fall, when they sin, when they are exposed as the hypocrites they are, we rejoice. Because that's what they deserve.